Friday, June 24
Monday, June 20, 2022
Here is what the status of a candidate for EU will give to Ukraine.
Prime Minister Denis Shmyhal named six advantages that EU membership candidate status will provide:
- First, it is a legal consolidation of Ukraine’s European future. It means that Ukraine will not just join the EU overnight, but will go through a process where it already meets many of the necessary criteria.
- Preparations for membership will include the completion of a comprehensive transformation in all areas. Ukraine will be constantly supported by the European Commission, providing necessary advice and other assistance.
- Ukraine will become a full member of EU programs and initiatives open to both EU and candidate countries. As a result, Ukraine, as a candidate country, will have more opportunities to have its voice heard in EU policymaking.
- By gaining candidate status and moving towards membership, Ukraine will become more attractive to investors. The business climate will be closer to EU conditions – investors will operate in a predictable and business-protected market.
- Ukraine will have access to financial assistance for countries preparing to join the EU (Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA)). This aid may be provided through grants, investments, or technical assistance.
- The EU will treat the Ukrainian restoration funds not as the post-war reconstruction of an outside country but as investing in the welfare of a potential EU member.